Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Things of The Spirit

I was going to start this blog out by appologizing to anyone that found themselves happening upon this, but then I thought to myself...self, I hope people find themsevles reading this. I constantly find myself (more like my wife catches me) on my blackberry on Sundays at Church or in meetings. I have to reassure her that I am not texting by bff's but that I am trying to capture something that a speaker just said or something I came across in the scriptures, or simply a thought that just came to my mind. So one of the reason's that I wanted to start a blog, other than having a place to display great family pics and happenings, is to have a place to capture my thoughts, great quotes and just things that make me feel good. So.... "Things of The Spirit" will hopefully be that place for me, my family and hopefully for anyone else that finds themselves in here.

Brian Judy pointed out a quote from the Jospeh Smith manuel on Sunday that really caught my eye and I wanted to be sure and share it here. If I could memorize and fully absorb and live what the Prophet Joseph is teaching hear, I would be a much better husband, father and son of God. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught in April of 1844, "We consider that God has created man with a mind capable of instruction, and facutly which may be enlarged in proportion to the heed and diligence given to the light communicated from heaven to the intellect; and that the nearer man approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin; and like the ancients, arrives at that point of faith where he is wrapped in the power and glory of his Maker, and is caught up to dwell with Him. But we consider that this is a station to which no man ever arrived in a moment."

That last line really gives me hope, "a station to which no man ever arrived in a moment"!!! If I could just give a little more "heed and dilegence" to the light communicated from heaven, I know that I would be able to see things that I see not, would have enjoyment that I know not and would be able to overcome all. What great promises.

Be good & have fun!!!

No comments: