Sunday, October 5, 2008

Carthage & Nauvoo 9/30/2008


My travels this week took me to Chicago, IL and then on to central Illinois for customer appointments. As I finished my last appointment on Tuesday I looked at the map and noticed that I was not far from Carthage and Nauvoo. I quickly decided that since I was so close to these historic Church sites that I couldnt pass up the opportunity.

Flat fields of corn and soy bean quickly gave way to rolling hills and small, historic towns of Western Illinois. My first stop was Carthage. As I entered the vistitors center around 3:30pm I quickly realized that other than the full time missionaries assigned to Carthage I would be the only visitor on the tour. What a great experience to take in the essence of this historic site with just a full time missionary by my side to teach me the facts about Carthage that I either did not know or had forgotten.
These pictures are of the outside of the jail, the bullet hole that went through the door and mortally wounded Hyrum, and the window at which the Prophet stood when struck by 2 balls from behind and 2 balls from the front. It was from this window that The Prophet fell to his death
.









As I sat in the jail keepers quarters where the shootings took place, a poor wayfaring man of grief played in the background, and my thoughts turned to the Prophet, his brother Hyrum, John Taylor and Willard Richards, all who were in the jail at the time that the mob attacked. I wondered if any of the men besides the Prophet had a foreknowlege of their fate and the fate of their dear Prophet. My thoughts turned to Emma and her children as the news would soon be delivered that her beloved husband had been shot and killed by an angry mob.

What turmoil, anguish and anxiety must have ensued as the Saints received news of the death of their Prophet and his beloved brother. How greatfull I am for the knowledge of the plan of salvation, and the Savior's victory over death. I am greatfull that I will one day be reunited with my Savior and the Prophet Joseph who sacrificed so much as the Prophet of the Restoration!





Not wanting to leave Carthage behind I was encouraged by that which was ahead of me, Nauvoo, that beautifull city. As I drove the streets of Nauvoo I quickly understood how difficult it must of been for the Saints to leave this beautifull city on the river. As I began to make my way across Nauvoo I caught the temple out of the corner of my eye. My breath was actually taken away as this wonderfull structure came into full view. How great it is to have this temple completed after it was started over 167 years ago!

No comments: